The project examines the development of migrant integration policy development in the Western Balkans, using the methodology developed by the Migration Policy Group. This methodology is used in 33 countries – EU Member States, Norway, Switzerland, Canada and the USA. It will be used in the Western Balkans countries for the first time. Migrant Integration Policy Index (MIPEX) is determined on the basis of seven policy areas: labour market mobility, access to nationality, long-term residence, education, anti-discrimination, political participation, family reunion. In this manner it is possible to monitor the development of migrant integration policies in the region and make an influence on decision makers to improve them.
(1) Mapping the existing migrant integration policies in the Western Balkans region
(2) Strengthening the representatives of Western Balkans countries to develop, monitor and improve migrant integration policies in line with migrants’ needs and rights.
(3) Informing the public on the importance of adequately developed migrant integration policies.
1. A two-day training for the partners on the use of the MIPEX methodology.
2. Examining migrant integration policies
3. Drafting reports on migrant integration policies in the Western Balkans countries
4. Regional conference on migrant integration policies
• Decision and policy makers, civil society representatives, the media, general public, migrants
Implementation period: 01 March 2013 – 01 January 2014
Geographic area: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Serbia
Partners: ‘Vasa prava BiH” (Bosnia and Herzegovina), Centre for Peace Vukovar (Croatia), CRPRC Studiorum and Centre for Research and Policy Making – CRPM (Macedonia), Migration Policy Group (Brussels).
Donor: The Balkan Trust for Democracy